Monday, May 2, 2011

also starring...


Lord Tennyson

The newest addition to our household :)

While Shawn was working the other day I took a stroll over to the enormous public library downtown (free entertainment, anyone?). After his shift he scooped me up and informed me that he wanted to "go get this CraigsList thing" he had just lined up. Of course I was curious but he insisted that it was a "surprise". Well, Shawn is not exactly the best person at surprises and so within 5 minutes he told me that we were going to get a 30 gallon aquarium.Which led to a discussion on the difference between a "surprise" and a "secret". Obviously my home decorating scheme had no room in our < 500 square foot apartment for an aquarium suitable for Shamu. He had clearly planned to pick it up and bring it home before I could resist. But he made a valid point that I've pretty much made every decision about what will be purchased and placed where soooo.. off we went.

Soon we were the proud owners of a gigantic aquarium with its very own faux wood stand. Hooray! Luckily it fit easily behind the couch with its base perfectly concealed. Of course an empty tank will just not do.. "CraigsList powers activate!" Next mission: African Clawed Frog. Which I was informed was actually the whole reason the aquarium was purchased in the first place. Shawn had his eyes on these frogs for a while and heaven forbid Lord Tennyson be confined to 15 or even 20 gallons.

We met the frog seller in the parking lot of a convenience store, giving the whole exchange somewhat of a drug deal ambiance. Shawn gave him the cash and he handed us a plastic bag containing a frog that was WAY larger than I had imagined he would be. We promptly placed him in a Big Gulp cup to keep him and his water from tipping over.

A second quick stop was made to pick up some free cat food and kitty litter (also a CL find.. just looking towards the future, ya know?) followed by a stop at the pet store (a real brick and mortar one this time, not another strange CraigsList animal dealer) and we were back home to set up LT's new habitat.

It should be noted that Shawn had interpreted "bottom feeder" to mean algae eater. A quick glance in the tank the next morning however confirmed that Lord Tennyson is in fact a minnow eater and he has continued to consume one at least every other day since he came to live with us. At least they are only 15 cents. But somewhat troublesome considering they're some of my favorite little guys to watch dart back and forth. Meanwhile the algae has started to grow and we are now in the position of having to buy a rather large algae eater lest LT consume him as well.

On a similar note, during a trip to the reptile store a couple weeks ago I witnessed a boa slowly consume a rat for the first time in my life. Supremely disturbing.

Anyway, LT has been providing hours of enjoyment and I must say that I am now happy he has come here to live. Since I realize not everyone is into amphibians and reptiles and such, I'll leave you with this pretty bouquet that was from an event I worked this week with Pink Posey Design to bring us back to Martha Land.

Ah, that's better.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to visit, I will walk in to your home and I will already know the story behind each and little artistic and amphibian piece. A vacation is def needed soon - maybe late summer before "texas" heads out. I am still going back and forth between the hospital and Jax - I'm dying for a hot shower but for now I will have to just settle with a HOT - Sugar free Vanilla Soy Latte, Lauren totally got me hooked. I will call you soon, despite the fact that I am sitting in the hospital I have kept very busy via CG emails and phone calls, client follow up and such - as well as all the hosptial duties - baths, breakfast, lunch and dinner feedings, bed changings - it's crazy one would think there would not be that much to do. I am only imagining some of the other patients here who do not have caregivers like myself to clean up after them - there room's must be filthy. However this room I would say could use some of your artistic touch, these blue walls are begining to be much bothersome. However I will not complain not once about anything - not out loud anyways because she is the one who is sick, and I haven't heard her complain once. Much love to you and Shawn - talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for a pretty ending to a disturbing post about boas, algea, dangerous sounding frogs, etc. Sounds like you guys are having fun. So glad you stopped here on your way to your new home so I feel like I "know" Shawn now.

    ReplyDelete