Wednesday, April 27, 2011

introducing...


Our newest rommates: Pesce and Poisson!

(pay-shuh and pweh-son)
They’re called Half Moon Bettas because their tail forms a semi circle when its fully flared. The crazy fish girl we bought them from had about 20 of them. She was originally just going to sell Poisson but she said they seem depressed when the other one isn’t around so she wanted to sell them as a pair. Okay. But then as Shawn pointed out later, when they flare at each other, it’s because they’re wanting to fight.. so technically they are actually arch enemies and not BFFs.. but we will keep that fact to ourselves. Also, they eat these little live worms which totally freak me out. So I will leave their feeding up to Shawn. I just hope he doesn’t “over love” them and cause them to die of obesity.

Other than the fish excitement, it’s just been business as usual over here in Craft Town. I’ve been practicing my calligraphy..


Anything to make a buck, right? ;) p.s. I'm aware the word "success" is spelled wrong.. I was copying some lettering I found online and the girl had a little quote written out and framed but it was spelled "Sucess". Very annoying to me.

We created an art masterpiece from an old framed Jimi Hendrix poster we found in the trash pile. A mixed media of sorts with craft paint, semi-gloss furniture paint, tissue paper, bits of gold trimming, vegetable oil, foot spray, and nail polish remover. You’d never guess Jimi was hiding under there.


I also finally finished the coat rack that we got (ha, almost said “bought” but nope, it was CraigsList free!) with the table a while ago. It started out a hideous glossy flesh toned color. Not sure why that color even exists… but it was promptly sanded off and replaced with a fresh coat (or three) of shiny black.

before
after
I bought a little white side table this past weekend at an estate sale. It’s a good fit but it wasn’t really exciting me. I also found a gold vent plate at a sale with no idea what I would do with it, but I loved the pattern. So the two have now been combined and I am very pleased with the outcome.


I have been seriously into geometrics lately.






Plus the couch pillow patterns, key holder, and the base of my yellow ottoman. They’ve been catching my eye everywhere I go. I’m thinking curtains next. Or a rug. Maybe a subtle monochromatic pattern. Once I get a paycheck :)

1 comment:

  1. Love the geometrics, love the vent cover, love your makeovers of junk to way cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete