Wednesday, April 13, 2011

annoying

I finally received my Colorado license in the mail and am quite perturbed to see this discrepancy:


Unlike in Florida, when you get your license here, they give you a “temporary” license which is in all actuality a piece of completely unofficial-looking paper that is an awkward size, making it quite annoying to carry around with you. And they punch a hole in your old license. So something as simple, as say, returning some unneeded hangers at Wal-Mart will result in the clerk asking for the temporary one which is of course in the car… but I digress. So then they send you your “official” license in the mail a couple weeks later.

Most of you are probably aware of the daily struggles I have encountered ever since that fateful day in 1984 when my parents decided to spell my name with an F instead of a PH. I generally prefer my spelling as I find the f a far more attractive letter than a bloated ph. But there are many times when it is rather annoying to have a common name spelled uncommonly. Email addresses for instance, have always posed a problem. My address at Chef’s Garden was misspelled but forwarded to my correctly spelled Gmail account, which I think really confused people. 

The best (or the worst?) was at Belle Fleur where I was spelling it out for people trying to send in their orders on a daily basis. That’s actually how this blog was titled. Sami gave me the idea after constantly hearing me spell it out “Stefanie@bellefleurNY.com, so that’s S-t-e-f like frank-a-n-i-e...”. They would inevitably call back an hour or so later to see if I got it. “No, what address did you send it to?” “s-t-e-p-h-a-…” Grrrr.

This however seems like a bigger deal, considering that it is an official government document. You’d think homeboy at the counter could have paid a bit more attention as he was typing it in. I may again have to blame that one on Shawn’s dimples, or maybe this time it was the baby blues. Either way, upon closer examination of the temporary piece of paper I was given, I realized it was misspelled there also, which resulted in two separate DMV employees telling me over the phone that I’ll have to go back to the office for a new one and most likely have to pay again “since I didn’t catch it while I was there”. 

SteFanie = not a happy camper.

1 comment: