Tuesday, April 26, 2011

sale-ing away

 It seems as though missing the garage sales last week just made it even better this week. We usually start our excursion with a quick check of estatesales.net. I pulled it up on Wednesday just to see what was in store for the weekend and discovered that there were actual a couple starting on Thursday which means now I could be estate sale-ing more days during the week than not. An awesome and scary thought.

So Thursday morning we headed a bit south of Denver to potentially one of the oddest estate sales I’ve ever been to. Also one of the most severely overpriced. We made a pact to never go to another sale run by the company who was in charge of that one.  Just as an example, a cross-stitch wall hanging to commemorate the couple’s wedding day (circa 1985) was priced at $15. Heh? We spent a lot of time pondering what had happened to the people who lived there. They were definitely not old, probably my parent’s age judging by the stuff and the wedding date. There was a full house of furniture, including a kid’s room. Very strange. Divorce? Tragic accident? Murder/suicide? I’ve been using homegirl’s Big Sexy Root Pump Mousse for the past few days though so hopefully it’s not anything too creepy.

Luckily we managed to find another sale that was pretty much amazing. A bunch of retro 60’s furniture and fun kitchen stuff. It was there that I found this awesome ottoman which I think is going to become a side table.


I also found this little oddity for $6 but decided it would make a perfect coffee table with the right piece of glass on top. 


I have no idea what its real purpose is. But it’s $193 less than my dream West Elm table, so I will definitely make it work! I also snagged these candle holders and we got these hilarious bottles for the bar.



Which is good since we don’t exactly stock top-shelf liquor in this thrifty establishment. The little charm things just crack me up. Kind of gangster.

On Saturday we hit up a couple different Goodwills. The ones in the Denver area are 50% off one or two Saturdays a month. So it’s kind of a madhouse but you can get some really good deals.  Such as… the perfect glass for my new coffee table! Major score for $6.50. The glass part for the coffee table and the base I think I’ll paint and use for a nightstand once I find it a new top. So the living room is coming together.


The pillows are some bo-bo ones I got at the 60’s sale and tied scarves around. One scarf from a thrift store and the other I already had. Although, let’s be serious, I’m sure it’s from a thrift store as well :) So they cost me about 3 bucks. Me likey.

No comments:

Post a Comment