Sunday, April 10, 2011

oh texas

Shortly after getting on the road towards Plano, we came upon IKEA which, shockingly, I have never been to. Obviously a detour was in order. I will say that my trip was somewhat less enjoyable due to my growing hunger so we sped thru to the end where we purchased a drink, two hotdogs, a bag of chips, and an icecream cone for $3!! “Are you sure we shouldn’t give you more money?” Delish and just enough snack to hold us over till dinner at Sami and Luke’s.

We arrived in Plano just in time for an amazing fajita dinner cooked by the brand new Mrs. Volcansek. Got to catch up on the latest news/projects/recipes etc. and meet the lucky Luke. Also took a peek at some wedding pictures and saw the gorgeous dress live in person since we weren’t able to make it to the wedding. And what’s dinner without dessert so Sami and Luke whipped us up a batch of toffee with white and milk chocolate and nuts to pack along for the seemingly neverending road ahead of us. In the morning, Luke had to work super early so we gladly ate his portion of the incredibly rich and oh so satisfying German Pancake that Sami whipped up. Please oh please send me that recipe. I must repeat!

While I packed the bags and shimmied everything back into its tiny space in the car, Shawn re-tied the suitcase and box back onto the trunk and bike rack—a routine we were becoming experts at by this point. Definitely started to feel like gypsies living out of the car. “Oh, you’re cold? I know there’s a jacket back in here somewhere..” “Bummer, they didn’t give me a spoon for my soup.. where’d we pack the kitchen stuff again?”

This is basically all there is to say about Northern Texas:


Fields forever and every now and then a strange little town (always, and I mean always containing a Subway and a Dairy Queen) for hour after hour, mile after mile. The original plan was to stop in Amarillo but we weren’t totally over it by then so pushed on for another hour to Dumas where the fabulous Dumas Inn awaited us. I think Nicole Kidman might have stayed there once. Oh no wait, just migrant workers. My mistake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment