Monday, April 11, 2011

deals and steals

Saturday morning brought a bit of sadness at the thought of missing out on garage sale day with Sara and my mom. Quite possibly one of my favorite activities while in Jacksonville. But now I have a place to fill, so I wiped my tears and hit up my boy Craig to find where the local deals would be. 

The first stop of the day was right down the street. They were barely set up but mentioned a chair inside that was for sale. Jackpot! We strapped that sucker into the trunk with our handy rope (aka the best purchase we ever made) and poked on home to unload and make room for more. I made sure to ask the hostess of the sale where the best area was for good deals, seeing as how we had similar taste. Other than the strange hairpiece she had attached to the top of her head as a sort of shitzu-like ponytail. But that’s neither here nor there. 

So we headed in the direction she had told us and proceeded to find countless sales, both estate and run-of-the-mill yards. At one particular stop, we spent a grand total of $1 and ended up with a Lazy Susan spice rack, complete with spices from the 1970s, a glass decanter, and two decorative pots for the herb garden I’m planning in my mind. Another estate sale yielded this little vignette


along with a set of solid white dishes to round out my collection. Next was s quick stop by the Goodwill for some shoes Shawn had scoped out previously but had waited for the 50% off sale (!) that all the local Goodwills were having that day. We hit up another estate sale where we found this little guy.


 Who can turn down an orange beehive canister? Then it all sort of became a blur as my hunger and full bladder took over. (Shawn didn’t know he was supposed to pack me an apple to munch on mid-morning like Mom does). Little did I know I had created a monster. “Oh wait, there’s two in a row!” “Ooh, should we just drive by?” “AH! There’s another one!” But we finally made it to a crazy little burger shack to grab a quick snack—which turned into 3 corndogs for Shawn, thanks to the free ones he kept winning from their lucky stick giveaway—and then home to unload our finds.

No comments:

Post a Comment