Monday, April 11, 2011

weekends = garage sales

This past weekend’s estate sales did a pretty good job at filling in the existing gaps in our home furnishings. Well, Friday and Sunday’s. Saturday Shawn had to work and I was laid up after our Friday evening adventure with Evan Williams and Diablo-tinis. We did have a fantastic evening experimenting with our new printer/scanner/copier.

And lounging on the new couch we found Friday morning. Strangely, the estate sale we went to was all half off, which usually happens on Sunday. Not sure when this one had started but the tremendous price cut did result in us finally getting a couch for $12.50! And I actually like the fabric as it is so I don’t need to start plotting how I’ll scrounge up the money to reupholster it. Kind of reminds me of a men’s suit. 

I was seriously stressing how this thing was gonna get home but Shawn assured me our girl could do it. Luckily the rope just stays in the car now for these emergency furniture hauling situations.



As we were pulling away, three old men were walking up to the sale. They were of course checking out the freak show and we heard one of them say to the other “I don’t think she has it on there right..” They clearly didn’t know what kind of professionals they were observing.

Sunday we did something I haven’t yet done in my garage sale experience—we went back to a sale to see what was left for half off.  After hitting up one sale and finding a sweet set of cordless Black & Decker power tools: saw, sander, and drill; we went back to one we had visited on Friday that had a ton of tools to see if we could find some drill bits and whatnot. Whoa. That place was wiped out. We managed to scrounge up a bucket for Shawn to wash our fine steed with and a jar of upholstery nails for a grand total of 50 cents. And on the way out, they had a box of free donuts for the shoppers. A plain glazed and a blueberry cake? Yes and yes.

Our final stop yielded this super fantastic headboard:



We’ve been needing one but the bedroom is preeetty small so I didn’t want something that would fill up the room. This one should do nicely. I might end up painting it but right now I’m enjoying the way it catches the light that filters through those fabulous vertical blinds.

No comments:

Post a Comment